Combat Fit Bootcamps working in association with Travellers World
Combat Fit Bootcamps provide students with an opportunity to immerse themselves into a focused training regime, delivered at the stunning Alfagar Resort in the Algarve Portugal.
Training during the one-week camp focuses on morning functional fitness on Santa Eulalia beach, afternoon practical self-defence training and evening workshops based around Conflict Resolution and personal safety. Training is provided by first aid trained coaches with extensive experience of working with groups of children and young adults.
Morning functional training
Santa Eulalia Beach provides the perfect backdrop for functional fitness training. Roughly 1 km in length the “Praia” boasts a wide stretch of golden sand between two headlands to the west and east. Morning training will include:
- Fartlek running to develop and improve base fitness
- Sand sprints – 100-metre dash
- Tabata exercises to improve and increase explosive power
- Connected partner training drills (CPT) to improve movement, distance control, coordination, speed and strength
Afternoon Self-defence training
Students will escape the afternoon Algarvian sun by training on the fully shaded Astroturf football pitch at the Alfagar resort. Afternoon training will include:
- A full break-away system enabling release from arm, throat grabs and from being grabbed from behind
- The weaponisation of the human body enabling students to effectively use fists, elbows knees and kicks to defend against an aggressive assailant
- A comprehensive knife defence system
- Survival on the ground
Five evening workshops will be delivered covering issues of conflict resolution and personal safety. A short examination will be given on the 6th night. The workshops will include:
- Assertiveness Training
- Identifying aggression physical/ psychological
- Resolving Confrontational Situations
- Self Defence and the law
- Personal Safety
Certificates and awards
Throughout this challenging week of training special attention will be made to the students’ performance in different areas. Certificates and awards will be presented to students who excel in the following areas:
- Team leadership
- Communication skills and delivery skills
- Motivators and encouragers
On completion of the week not only will students have improved their fitness and ability to effectively defend themselves, they would have also gained a comprehensive understanding of issues that can have a direct effect on the compromisation of an individual’s personal safety.
What will students need for the trip?
Essential items needed for the week in the Algarve
- A valid passport
- Appropriate training attire including trainers shorts and t-shirts
- Sun protector
- An introductory level pair of 12oz boxing gloves (£20-£30 on Amazon)
Essential attitude for the week in the Algarve
- A “can do will do” attitude
- A determination to complete the fitness elements of the programme
- A responsible attitude and a willingness to work as a group and a team
Combat Fit actively supports the charity “Young Minds” which carries out amazing work fighting for young people’s mental health. The organisation is leading the fight for a future where all young minds are supported and empowered, whatever the challenges. The charity strives to make sure that young people get the best possible mental health support and have the resilience to overcome life’s difficulties.
The crisis in children and young people’s mental health is real and it is urgent. More children and young people than ever before are reaching out for help with their mental health.
Combat Fit is proud to support this cause.
6th Form Training Camps Personal Safety & Life Beyond the Secondary School Environment
This course follows the same training template as the Bootcamp programme however the evening workshops focus on personal safety issues relevant to newly graduated students.
Topics to be covered include:
- Victimisation/predators and situational awareness
- Gap years – due diligence and risk assessing the dangers
- Confrontation management – Alertness codes
- Self Defence and the law
- Confrontation and violence in the workplace
The goals of this programme are to prepare graduating students with additional life skill sets including – the ability to identify potential concerns in the real world and to provide suggestions and training on how to respond.